Wednesday 25 February 2015

Grunge

Grunge is back and popular as ever!

For my next post I wanted to talk more about 80’s/90’s grunge. Grunge as a style has always been a personal favourite, the baggy mom jeans and baggy shirt combination has continually been a show stopper for when you’re having one of those lazy days but want to look reasonably fashionable at the same time (oh the dilemma!) However, the main thing about this look is that it is realistically cheap to retain because you can find bargains at charity shops, tear up old clothing artistically or even shop at fabric stores to make it completely your own.

Grunge can appear very untidy; it’s the ‘I-don’t-care’ look that combines punk styles with working-class clothing. When I think Grunge… I think Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain. Grunge’s goal is to make old things look new! (BUT you really don’t want to look like a junky on the street) so stay away from overly baggy clothing unless you plan to wear something that could potentially chic it up. Wear shirts and torn up jeans, boots (Doc Martens are a popular way to make an outfit automatically look more grunge), studded belts and leather jackets (who doesn't enjoy a nice leather jacket? I know I do).

However, who says grunge can’t be feminine? Think Alexa Chung, she’s a beautiful lady with her own unique personal style. You just need to put these things into perspective with a beautiful flowery dress with high knee socks or a school pleated styled skirt (the American Apparel tartan tennis skirt would be perfect for this look, it may be a little over priced but you wouldn't regret it, it’s by far my favourite skirt to date). 

Here are a few perfect examples of the grunge style!


For my interpretation of Grunge this week I wanted to keep it old school, I managed to bag myself some incredible baggy mom jeans in the Pull n bear sale (there where only size 4’s left and I’m a size 6, so these jeans are normally meant to be baggier around the thighs, but I went with it anyway). I paired it up with a Nike see through kami and black converse; however I wore a small black top underneath so it wasn't as see through and revealing. I am a massive fan of sportswear in fashion; both Nike and Adidas have some amazing ranges out at the moment and have inspired most of my trends to date (especially the Rita Ora for Adidas range). The converse where a last minute thing, I fancied a lazy day around Liverpool so I didn't want to wear heavy boots or docs. However, I actually like the simplicity of the converse with this outfit, it made the outfit very up to date and stylish, and the Converse are spanking brand new (I've always preferred converse to look dirty and used) so I wanted to take these babies out for a test drive. You could also wear a pair of high tops with this look, my white Adidas superstar originals go perfect.


My high street online favourites to buy grunge would be ASOS and MissGuided. However, being from Liverpool there are plenty of bargain outlets like Soho and Pop Boutique to get some sweet deals from.

Another online favourite of mine at the moment would be Urban graphic street-wear by  www.shadelondon.com 


Check out my Instagram for more fashion bits and bobs - www.instagram.com/chelslous

 photo ghkg_zpsf3qy2pe1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment