Monday 9 March 2015

Monocrazy!

Mad about monochrome? Come and get it.

There have been massive amounts of trends going around at the moment in the fashion world,  however, there is only one overwhelming winner… monochrome. Worn on or off the red carpet, my favourite celebrities such as fashion icon Fearne Cotton, musician Taylor Swift and actress’s Natalie Portman and Kate Beckinsale (ultimate girl crushes), have certainly got it bang on the money.

Here are a few images of my leading ladies that have inspired my love for monochrome!  


Monochrome can refer to anything, I not only adore the fashion but I’m infatuated with black and white art and photography as well. Being an artist myself I have put a lot of thought into only using black and white in my designs, I've just always been a basic, yet bold, black and white kind of girl. Here’s one of my most favoured pop art artists Andy Warhol works (the absolute legend). 

ANDY WARHOL Black & White Paintings 1985-86, Van de Weghe Fine Art

I have always found black and white simple yet elegant, a trend that has stood its ground for decades and will carry on so for a very long time (I hope). I have remained an enormous admirer since I was a youngster when my dad bought me my first ever pair of black and white converse, I instantly fell in love. Monochrome has continuously been a fall back outfit if I am having one of those days (we all have them) and haven’t got much imagination, however, want to look on top of my game as always.

 Other than the present, the 1960’s was very monocrazy. It was the decade of fashion revolution; youngsters were able to wear and make whatever they wanted and not to be judged for being a little ‘different’. It was the year to make a statement, to be sleek, bold and sharp.

Believe it or not though, men are in fact the reason to why monochrome became such a hit in the first place. ‘The suit’ or in other words, what men wear in attempt to ‘dress up’ is an absolute classic example of the perfect monochrome outfit. The ‘sophistication’ of male suits then transferred to women, making them look powerful and may I say… sexy? Here’s my favourite, Orlando Bloom in a lovely err…suit… (Because why not? who can resist a nice looking suit. You can thank me later ladies). 


Monochrome can be worn in so many ways, whether it’s all black with a hint of white (such as a white necklace/peep toe heels), or a pair of black trousers with a white blouse and black blazer (going back to the suit look). I try to avoid patterns whilst wearing monochrome for example stripes (stripes has a tendency to create deceptions of imbalance), too many pattern clashing can ruin an outfit quickly so pair up with sole prints and colourful accessories. I personally like to team up black and white with oversized clutches and bright lipstick (I like the pastel colours at the moment; they look amazing against black and white). 

So enough about that, here’s my interpretation!


After having a little spending spree on MissGuided last weekend (I had no reason nor do I regret my actions), I came across the most incredible little checked black and white cami swing dress. It came just above the knee and had a swing feel to it (I've always preferred dresses like this as they are not as fitting). The dress is very thin so it would be better to wear in the summer rather than the winter, however I gave it a good shot (there's nothing a warm leather jacket can't fix).

I paired it up with my new black and white pointy heeled beauties (to get the full monochrome effect of course, how could I not?). To finish the look I added my black floppy hat (can you believe I bought it from Primark? amazing! Any excuse really to wear it), and a two toned clutch bag. I wore minimal make up, simple black eye liner, black nails and a brown shade lipstick.

I was going for a meal with my mum for mothers day over the weekend so I chose to dress this outfit up (I know mothers day isn't until next weekend but I'm working that day so I moved it a week ahead). However if I was to just wear it on a normal day I would probably either pair it up with some docs and a leather jacket (bring the rock chic out in me) or pair of converse/brogues with a little denim jacket (definitely going to try this look over the summer.. fingers crossed we have loads of sun). 

If you are interested in buying the dress or shoes, you can purchase both items on Missguided.com


So remember white isn't just for your wedding day, and black isn't just for funerals. There is ALWAYS a time and place for monochrome

Thanks for reading. Check out my Instagram for more fashion bits and bobs - www.instagram.com/chelslous

 photo ghkg_zpsf3qy2pe1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment