Friday 6 March 2015

My longest love hate relationship. Glasses!

love 'em or hate em... glasses are here to stay.

On today's blog I wanted to talk about glasses and how they are taking the fashion industry by storm. Is it because celebrities such as Alexa Chung and the Beckham's are wearing them? Or is it just generally a liked thing nowadays to be walking around wearing huge 'nerd' glasses? There has never been a better time to suffer poor vision.

I was told when I was five years old that I needed glasses. At the time I honestly believed that it was the end of the world. I remembered thinking 'why me? Am I going to be known as that weird kid who goes by the name of "four-eyes" for the rest of her life?' It was my worst nightmare and I hadn't even experienced teenage years yet. 

I remember my first ever specs and how horrified I was when the nice lady told me that I had to wear them full time. My mum allowed me to choose my own in hope that I might like them and instead of going for something less obvious that wouldn't attract much attention... I chose brightly coloured frames that stood out from a mile away (and I wondered why I got called names? I might as well have had a sign on my head saying 'HEY LOOK AT ME'). They reminded me of something you can imagine your grandmother wearing in the early sixties (honestly though... they were terrible! even for the twentieth century glasses lovers).


When my 16th birthday came along and I begged my parents for contacts because the thought of having to wear specs any longer was horrific, however, after years of straining my eyes (forever falling asleep with them in) I decided it was time to finally grow a pair and buy some new glasses and get over my hatred towards wearing them. Considering they are in fashion at the moment.... what's the worst that could happen? I might even like them (that would be a miracle... but you never know). I chose to go with Specsavers because I have heard loads of positive things and I also liked the idea of two for the price of one! (who wouldn't?!)


After trying on around 200 pairs pointing out to the women helping me that I looked like a bug each time I tried a pair on, I came across glasses that even I didn't think I would ever consider... never mind want to wear on my face every day!? They stood out as soon as I saw them and after I tried them on... they weren't that horrible on either. 




The frames I choose where made by fashion designer Karen Millen. They are an elegant cat eyed style with a brown leopard skin print on the front of the frame. The sides have metal raised studs that aren't too distracting when you see them. Leopard print is not something I would ever go for considering I don’t own one item of leopard print clothing (I can’t help but find it…tacky? But I'm probably being biased because I haven’t found the right piece of clothing just yet. I can't help but think Scary spice when leopard print comes to mind).

If you're interested in buying these glasses you can purchase them in store or on the Specsavers website.


I do believe that celebrities are the reason why glasses have become popular during the past few years. Fashionistas such as Victoria Beckham and a large host of other celebs all have one thing in common.... they have turned their specs into fashion accessories. They've managed to turn glasses super sexy and stylish, and for that I solute them. Glasses are no longer looked upon as a sign of  a 'nerd' stereotype! There was nothing worse in school than kids assuming that I was Stephen Hawking because I wore a pair of glasses, and when I didn't know the answer to then stare at me like I had two heads.

Thanks to big brand advertisements and celebrities I no longer dread wearing prescription glasses, in a way I am actually one step ahead of those people who have gone out to buy clear glass versions so they can stay in style! and for that... I am forever grateful.
To end the post I wanted to share a few of my favourite celebrities who have taken the fashion industry by storm with their glasses addictions:


Style icon Alexa Chung herself wearing the famous 'Geek' look glasses.


Actress Eva Mendes in the Vogue Eye-wear 2013 campaign issue.


Beautiful fashion model Cara Delevingne looking amazing as always wearing bold black frames
.

And of course actor Jude Law in 'The Holiday' wearing these rather spectacular specs... Need I say more?

Future blogs... mission to find the perfect pair of sunglasses for my holiday (Wish me luck) and Monochrome

Thanks for reading. Check out my Instagram for more fashion bits and bobs - www.instagram.com/chelslous

 photo ghkg_zpsf3qy2pe1.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Glasses have lot of attraction for the user. The specified form of attraction gained by using the glasses. The ladies make change in their personality while using such thesis writing service glasses. This makes change in style and look for the females.

    ReplyDelete