Monday 2 March 2015

My not so secret obsession

American Apparel.

Anyone who knows me will understand my infatuation for American Apparel and how I have absolutely zero will power to stay away. Their bright and breezy style is one of the most recognisable brands on the high street, I simply cannot resist going in, each and every time I am near a local store. Maybe it’s their eye catching, brightly decorated store and constant up-to-the-minute window displays? Whatever it is… I am hooked and I have no concern with that at all (other than my bank balance).
AA is best known for their basic, solid coloured knitwear and T-shirts, underwear and high waisted pants and jeans. However in the recent years they have been expanding their range with colourful leotards, tank tops, vintage clothing, dresses and beauty and hair products such as nail polish/lipsticks and hair scrunchies. They have even started a new range for dogs and babies (which is a little weird… but hey? It’s 2015 there’s plenty more weird things going on in the world). 

My love affair with American Apparel is definitely only going to get stronger as the years go by (and I can still fit into the same jeans as I did when I was thirteen). Their cotton stays soft, keeps its colour and always feels comfortable. NEVERTHELESS, their small sizes can be a nightmare (which can cause a fashion crisis because I don’t understand what size I am if I need to buy online, sometimes I can be an S and sometimes I’m an XS, and don’t get me started on the trouser lengths and sizes, I literally look like I haven’t got half a brain when I pick up six different sizes each time I visit the shop in hope that one might fit me properly. Oh American sizes... why so difficult!?). 

So after walking past their shop last week on the way to work and not being able to resist...again. I ended up trying on some of their new trends and co-ord's (sticking to my love of co-ord's of course!) I took some AA selfies of my favourite lines they have on display at the moment. Would have been rude not to surely?


I have been a die hard fan of American Apparel since I was a teenager! Their ‘riding pants’ are by far my favourite trousers I have ever purchased (I have these beauties in dark blue and a cream white and I've never looked back, true love forever). They automatically dress up any outfit to make it look more glam and stylish. I tend to pair them up with cute crop tops and polo neck jumpers/body suits.

Another favourite of mine would be the 'Tennis skirt'. This beauty is far my favourite skirt I've purchased in a while; I love the high waisted style to it and I have it in both purple and black. The black is easier to style because anything goes with it; however the purple is my much-loved choice! I tend to wear it with a black polo or jumper (depending on the weather, and considering Liverpool doesn't have the greatest weather I don’t have much of a choose but to wrap up warm).


After having a browse and feel, I treated myself to something new for my bursting wardrobe (don't worry... I only allowed myself to buy ONE thing this time). I decided on a adorable button up cotton crop T-shirt in black (I preferred the white version but the black is easier to pair with other clothes so it made sense at the time).


So what is it that appeals to me so much about American Apparel
1-      Their clothes can be worn day to night and are fairly affordable depending on the look you are going for.
2-      Their solids allow me to make the outfit completely my own with accessories.
3-      They are unique, they offer clothes that go within the ‘Indie’ style, and their clothing is for all ages.
4-      Good quality and cotton never loses colour.
5-      Their advertisements are more realistic, the models aren't as photo shopped as you see in other adverts, which makes me believe that I could look good in these clothes.
6-      Colour range is large and the unisex options are always on point.

And last but not least… the logo. Their clothes aren't plastered with massive logos like other stores! there's nothing worse than buying a casual top and having the name brand plastered all over it (cough cough… HOLLISTER! who do you think you are? Adidas!?). 

To finish of, here are some more examples of how I style American Apparel clothing into everyday wear, whether you are having a date night with your partner or an afternoon of shopping!


Check out my Instagram for more fashion bits and bobs - www.instagram.com/chelslous

 photo ghkg_zpsf3qy2pe1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment