Friday 20 March 2015

Tell me about it, stud.

Okay girls, let's go get 'em.

Sticking to the movie theme from my last post, I wanted to speak about the modern looks inspired by everyone's favorite musical..'Grease'. 


I first watched this film with my mum when I was 13 years old. Known for its puppy love story and perky tunes, 'Grease' was a massive sensation, and to this day, still inspiring the looks of the fashion world. Characters Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) and Danny (John Travolta) play the star-crossed lovers, however, for me, it’s all about what they’re wearing that keeps me watching it over and over again. Set in an American high school in the 1950’s (I would love to be from the 1950’s! they have the cutest clothing and hairstyles), the fashion during the film covers almost all of the typical ‘cliques’ you would expect in a usual American high school.
So we have the bad boy ‘T-birds’, known for their tight leather jackets, converse/black boots and rolled up skinny jeans. The well-groomed girls with a more classic style, known as the famous ‘Pink Ladies’ - Personally I’m a fan of Marty with her high waist white pants and midi pencil skirts. The ‘Jocks’ who are more into their baseball jackets and sportswear, and then we have Sandy… the cute and innocent ‘good girl’ who lives in her high waist puffy long skirts and button up shirts. Oh and let’s not forget the daring outfit Sandy wears in the last scene (very American Apparel if I may say so myself, this look has inspired my style since I was first ever interested in fashion).
As the years have gone by, the fashion in ‘Grease’ continues to inspire fashion trends. Here's a list of what I believe is still hugely in fashion:

Leather jackets-
Leather jackets are a timeless classic! I wouldn’t know where I’d be without mine; I practically live in the thing. Both men and women look great in this look.
Rolled up demin-
A wardrobe essential, this style will never die out. Rolling up the bottoms makes an outfit automatically interesting and bold.
Full skirts-
During the film Sandy and her friends are repeatedly wearing dresses with long full skirts. I love this look because it enhances the waist.
 
Baseball jackets and bombers-
I’m not the biggest fan of baseball jackets and bombers; however they seem to always come back when the sun comes out. (I wouldn’t mind a pink lady jacket though…who wouldn’t?)
And The pencil skirt-
A favourite of mine, recently back on the scene (Kimmy K… I salute you). You can easily show of your curves with this look, yet maintaining a formal look at the same time.

Whilst shopping in Topshop a few weeks ago, I came across the most astounding high waist skirt. I automatically thought… Grease!


The skirt is grey and black with a checked design, absolutely beautiful. The skirt was very heavy, however it fitted perfectly around the waist and the length worked well with my height, I paired it up with a black halter neck crop top.
I never actually bought this skirt because I had no reason to due to having zero christenings or weddings coming up, and this skirt is definitely a special occasion skirt. However if I ever get around to buying it or purchasing something similar, I would pair it up with delicate pointed black heels to finish to look. 

 Thanks for taking your time reading. Check out my Instagram for more fashion bits and bobs - www.instagram.com/chelslous

 photo ghkg_zpsf3qy2pe1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment